Thursday, February 3, 2011

PC Maintenance and Security

Atomic Learning has helped me learn about PC Maintenance and Security this week. I chose 3 different areas to comment on below.

Tutorial #1: Tips for safe web browsing

1 thing learned: Internet Explorer should not be your main access to the internet. Atomic Learning recommends using Mozilla Firefox. One reason they recommended Mozilla Firefox is because it is more secure. Internet Explorer allows for others to do a “drive by” and install their information on your computer, where Mozilla Firefox does not allow this.

Information that surprised me: Under the same tutorial I learned about P2P software. I was surprised to learn that once you download a song or movie you automatically are sharing it with others. Atomic Learning also points out that a lot of the search results are trojans or viruses that will cause your PC to run slowly. This is information my students need to know!

Tutorial #2: Wireless Network Safety

1 thing learned:
That you need to change the default password from the one given. Others can access your wireless internet even with the password on if you have not changed the default.

Information that surprised me: I was surprised to see that you can do a simple Google search for default passwords and anyone can access your wireless internet if you haven’t changed the default password. This is kind of scary.

Tutorial #3: Protecting Your Family Online

1 thing learned: I knew how to clear my internet history prior to watching this tutorial. I, however, did not know about the importance of emptying the cookies, cache, and temporary internet files.

Information that surprised me: While watching the Google preferences tutorial I learned how to set up safe Google searches for my students. By setting up the preferences my students will not come across nudity, explicit language or violence.

1 comment:

SMWright said...

I'm a FireFox user, myself. I have to admit it took a while for the transition to happen. But happen, it did. I like the fact that I can right click on a web page and set it right to my Delicious account for saving. Talk about efficient surfing=8-).