Saturday, March 10, 2012

Wicked Problem Project

My wicked project need was a way to incorporate technology into my music curriculum.  The solution I found was several different interactive websites that I could engage my students in while using the Mobi View.  


The Mobi View will help support my delivery of the music curriculum.  Specifically, the Mobi View will allow for students to interact with the music curriculum in a way that was not possible before. I feel that if my students are able to work with music concepts in a different manner, they will learn and retain more. The Mobi View allows for this by enabling me to share with students and have them answer questions in a real time setting. On a daily basis, I am introducing new music topics or concepts. The Mobi View makes a more student-friendly way to introduce, model, practice, and assess student growth.


The Mobi View makes the music content more intellectually accessible in many ways. First off, they are better able to view a new concept. I will be able to use videos to introduce topics better with this technology. That will help students connect with new content. The Mobi View will also allow me to challenge students to interact with the curriculum by completing small quizzes and perhaps creating their own masterpieces. Many of my students understand things better when they are presented digitally and have the opportunity to be a part of the learning. When we can present things in a medium that relates to their lives, students will be more likely to take ownership in the learning process.  


When using the Mobi View I will be able to assess students in new ways. This technology will allow them to process information and be much more creative in how they demonstrate mastery of the content. I can use different applications of the Mobi View to meet with students one on one and have them show they have learned the material, as opposed to having them simply take a quiz or have me judge the class as a whole. This will also allow students to create, which will demonstrate their learning more than anything else.


Click here to view my PowerPoint
Click here to view my Wicked Project Script 

2 comments:

Chuck Commeret said...

Jessica,

The Mobi View is an excellent tool for any classroom. I'm glad you were able to find creative ways to infuse the technology into your music curriculum. I hope that this project gave you momentum for the rest of this year and into next.

I like how you said, "This will also allow students to create, which will demonstrate their learning more than anything else." Getting students to the create is an essential component of 21st century teaching, and is made more possible with technology tools.

Utilizing this technology in centers/stations will be a great improvement to increase engagement and to cut down on wait time. Excellent solution. I hope you have an opportunity to try that out some time soon!

Although you state that your problem is "how" to incorporate technology, your focus should really be on a problem of practice...a problem with your instruction, and how to solve the problem using technology. Obviously, you were going to use the Mobi View, but what aspects of teaching music were difficult for you, and how could you address those aspects with technology.

Despite this minor misunderstanding, you address various problems that were solved throughout the project, you just do not explicitly mention those problems up front. All in all, great project.

Unknown said...

Would you mind removing the widget on your sidebar and the link to Guide to Online Schools? We were hit with a Google penalty and I'm trying to get links like these removed.