Saturday, February 25, 2012

Classroom 2.0 & Mobil Learning

Web 2.0 resources are a wonderful way to integrate technology into core content areas.  I looked at a lot of the resources during the data visualizations lab and I am eager to try out several resources.

I found Classroom 2.0 a wonderful resource for teaching with technology.  I really wish I had known about this site last year when I was teaching computers to 4-6h grade students.  There are so many wonderful resources and peers that are more than willing to help out with any questions I might have had!  I found the conversation on cell phones to be pretty interesting.  Most people are using cell phones in similar ways that I have seen in previous class and from my own experience.  I am still surprised at how some people find it unrealistic to use cell phones in the classroom.  I sometimes wonder if it is a generation gap, or a difference in opinion from digital natives and digital immigrants.

I have recently taken part in poll everywhere surveys when my district attended a professional development on Marzano.  It was wonderful to see how so many professionals were so eager to have their phones out and get their opinion or answers on the screen.  I think that experience was a clear indicator for the excitement students would have if given the same opportunity.  I created a poll everywhere survey for my husbands US history class.  He is planning on using it next week.  I look forward to hearing about his students responses and reactions to being allowed to use their cell phones in class.

In my current classroom I use my iPod on a daily basis.  My students love selecting songs from my iPod to listen to while they are working on their music notation workbooks.  I recently brought in my iPad and the students went crazy over it.  I am looking forward to finding some iterative music apps and letting my students try them out!  Teaching music can allow for the integration of mobile learning in many ways.  The biggest challenge I am finding right now is finding quality resources students can use that helps meets the GLCEs, along with our no cell phone policy.

1 comment:

Chuck Commeret said...

Jessica,

You bring up an excellent point about teachers being excited to use their cell phones for a PD activity. Hmmm...seems like it might engage students as well. :)

I hope that you are able to find resources that meet the GLCEs, while engaging student in interactive activities.

I appreciate your willingness to try out new technologies in your classroom. You'll never know unless you try....