Saturday, February 25, 2012

Part D - Findings and Implications

My initial educational need that I had was to find a way to incorporate technology into my 3-5th grade music curriculum.  I wanted to find a way to engage my students using technology and specifically using the Mobi View I received through a grant. 

I have implemented the use of my Mobi View into my music classes.  By using this technology, students were able to use two different interactive sites.  Students learned about a composer during one interactive lesson, and students also used the Mobi View to create their own rhythms.  In the planning stages of this project I had really grand plans for implementing technology into my curriculum.  I believe I have done a good job implementing technology with these first two websites, and I am looking forward to finding and using more interactive websites. 

After observing students and things that worked, as well as what needed to be planned a bit better, I now believe I could more effectively use the Mobi View by setting up different centers around the room. I can then have the students spend time at each station during the class period. This would make the Mobi View more valuable by giving students more direct attention as well as better allowing me to evaluate their work. This would also keep the other students engaged a little better than with my original implementation of the technology. 

I know that using the Mobi View was a success because I could see how excited and engaged the students were in the two lessons I have incorporated interactive sites and the Mobi View into.  Students could not wait for their turn to use the portable interactive board. 
I don’t know if I would approach another project differently.  I feel I went in with a plan of finding interactive lessons in which I could utilize my Mobi View and engage students.  I feel this was a successful process and one that I could easily do again.  What I have found through my research is some wonderful resources other music teachers in my district could use, and I plan on sharing my final product with them.  

3 comments:

Chuck Commeret said...

Sharing is caring! :) I'm glad to hear that you intend to share your final project with your colleagues. I hope that they are able to learn from you, and that you are able to continually learn from them as well.

Your idea for centers is excellent. I hope that you are able to give it a try sometime.

Good luck as you polish up the final project! :)

Edwlaws said...

I am glad you had such success with your Mobi View. As I told you before I also have one and have not had the opportunity to use it in a classroom setting. So I was cheering your efforts on so I could mimic your success.

Your center idea is the best way for each student to experience this technology. If you are writing another grant the Interwrite Mobi Learner IP500, which comes in sets of 3, is a good addition to the Mobi family.

Thanks for the solution and congratulation on your project success.

Danielle said...

I think that you have set up a great program for your classroom. This seems like it will be a great asset to your classroom in the future. Additionally, I liked that you have already determined the best way to make changes to your project to make it as effective as possible. Using centers will really help your students learn, while having an opportunity to use the technology without having it be a distraction. Great job!